Maricopa Animal Care and Control
- Maricopa County has the second highest euthanasia rate in the United States.
- For over a decade MCACC took in over 45,000 animals each year.
- On average between 45-50% of those animals were killed.
- In 2010 alone MCACC euthanized over 23,000 animals.
- Each year there is approximately 220,000 homes in Maricopa County that are open for incoming animals.
- 220,000 waiting homes….23,000+ animals dying…
United States Statistics
- Approximately 8 million animals enter shelters each year, about 4 million of those animals are killed.
- About 3.6 million of those animals COULD BE SAVED (they are not hopelessly ill or injured).
- 23 million Americans are looking to adopt an animal each year.
- 23 million Americans looking for a new pet…3.6 million savable animals euthanized.
Where’s The Problem?
- Between 220,000 and 280,000 homes in Maricopa County are looking for a new pet each year, however, only 20-25% will adopt their new pet from a shelter.
What We Need To Do:
- Stop supporting people who breed their animals, for profit or otherwise! I don’t care if we’re talking about puppy mills or not, people should stop breeding their animals!
- Adopt animals from shelters and rescues, stop purchasing them from breeders! The extra thousands of dollars you spend is not going to get you a better dog.
- There are purebreds in shelters and rescues that need adopted too!